11 December 2020
Over the last few weeks, the ALTE Trustees, Members and Secretariat have come together to make the difficult decision not to go ahead with the ALTE 7th International Conference as a face-to-face event in Madrid in April. The continued uncertainty of the impact of Covid-19 in terms of health, travel and finances has inevitably led us to this conclusion.
The Secretariat and the Trustees have been discussing how best to proceed with a replacement event, and will continue to do so. While the details are being worked out, please note the following key points:
- The 7th International Conference will not take place in 2021, but will be held in 2022 or 2023.
- It will be replaced by a fully online experience, our 1st Online International Colloquium, an innovation for ALTE that can be welcomed as the first of its kind for us.
- The new event will take place in the week already allocated for the conference at the end of April – thus avoiding Easter earlier in the month, the Summer exam sessions and any overlap with EALTA, LTRC etc in May/June.
- The theme will be updated to allow greater focus on the post-Covid realities in language learning, teaching and assessment: “Safeguarding the Future of Multilingual Assessment in the Post-Covid World’.
- This will enable us to focus on digital technology and AI – EdTech plus AI in Education (AIEd), including new ways of doing things in our field, such as online assessment solutions, automarking, virtual reality tasks, remote proctoring, eye-tracking, new psychometrics using AI, etc.
- The event will be built around invited speakers, new-style symposia and interactive sessions etc.
- Therefore, unfortunately, the majority of presenters will not be able to present their papers as planned but will be invited to write up their papers for a special publication, launched at that time.
- All currently registered participants for the International Conference will be fully refunded.
We know that presenters will be disappointed not to be able to present as planned. However, we hope that this new event will be, above all, relevant and useful for all those connected to language assessment, maximising the value of an online format. We look forward to welcoming all there – look out for more information on this webpage in January 2021.